Thread: Post-Game Talk: Habs Win 4th In a Row!
View Single Post
Old
11-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Pretty sure you just made plenty of baseless accusations there Bill. The only argument you had was goal differential when martin coached in Ottawa...your point?
My point: We both watched Martin in Ottawa (apparently). We both came to different conclusions from watching his teams play. That eliminates any anecdotal evidence that can be brought to the table. So why not look at the numbers? It would seem that any team that sat back after gaining a lead, as you said Martin's teams are known to do, would either be a) low scoring, as they wouldn't continue to press when they're up, b) a team with a low goal differential as they'd be constantly getting scored on for their lack of offensive pressure or c) a combination of a) and b). The numbers don't back that up.

Quote:
So maybe you are right though maybe it is just the players. Why isn't Martin addressing this then if "coaches hate it"? Its been going on for a while now and nothing has changed. I don't see washington or pittsburgh sitting back, along with LA Vancouver, Boston, or even Toronto now!. I just find that coaches with a defensive first mentality seem to lay back when they have the lead late. Do you not see the difference?..Maybe it's not Martin but he preaches D, and players may hold the sticks a little tighter late because they don't wanna make a mistake and give up odd man rushes ect. I think if it's not martin then his defensive minded approach may rub off on the team at the wrong times of the game, not that it's a bad thing but it would be good to get a comfortable lead once in a while.
You don't see it with those other teams as you don't watch all 82 games of their seasons as intently as you do the Habs. It's a common occurrence that when a team is trailing in a game they will take more shots and put more pressure on the opposition save for in a blowout. It isn't limited to the Habs or any other defensive-minded teams.

Quote:
And I don't let anyone ruin my life lol I have thick skin boss. The only thing I have an issue with is that this is a discussion board and an opinion board. Not a bashing and a my point is better than yours board. Just put your egos aside when you don't have facts either. It's childish. And I apologize if I said anything to offend you.
Considering I brought facts to the table whereas you offered nothing but your (admittedly) biased views on the coach, you were the one to begin with all the childish antics in this thread (basically plugging your ears when anybody disagreed with you and resorting to attacks beyond that) and you specifically stated that you didn't want me to ruin your night, that's pretty funny. I've never seen so much lack of self-awareness in one paragraph.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote