The official University of Michigan thread
View Single Post
11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Hockey's Future Staff
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pittsburgh Apr. 2013
Originally Posted by
Marc the Habs Fan
Mac Bennett has been racking up the assists so far. Any thoughts on his play so far this season?
As Herby has stated, Mac's shooting more and playing with more confidence, but I'll add a couple more observations here. First, he looks stronger this season, so obviously the time in the weight room has helped, especially in his defensive play. Second, he needs to add some more grit to this game. In last night's game vs. WMU, I think he threw the body maybe twice. Meanwhile, his defensive partner (and fellow Canadiens draft pick) was banging bodies left and right.
Now some observations from last night's (11/4/11) game vs. WMU, which BTW, was a terrific game, despite Michigan coming out on the losing end of it:
1) I didn't think either goalie was all that impressive, although both had their moments.
2) The Broncos look like they've picked up from where they left off last season and are looking really, really good. I love the fact that they never gave up on plays, especially on Walters' game-winner.
3) The Wolverines were very effective when they were playing the body and pressuring the puck carriers, problem was that they didn't do it consistently throughout the game. And some lapses/mistakes led to at least two of the Broncos' goals.
4) Phil DiGiuseppe was very impressive. He plays with a lot of poise and confidence. I just love his hands! I can see now why scouts are so high on this kid. He made some rookie mistakes, but nothing that can't be fixed.
5) Greg Pateryn IMO was the best player for Michigan. In addition to banging bodies, he was very solid in his own end. I thought he was especially good on the PK.
6) For WMU, IMO Danny DeKeyser was their best and most consistent player of the game. He was making a ton of smart plays and both ends of the ice and did a nice job on staying with the Michigan forwards that he was assigned to.
View Public Profile
Oilers Chick's albums
Find More Posts by Oilers Chick