Old
11-05-2011, 04:51 PM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Hello!

Me and a friend are thinking of visiting Detroit this spring possibly, and we haven't really been in the US before (I've only been there as a child), and so part of the reason we'd want to go is to watch the Wings in action. We're thinking of making it mainly an east coast trip (New York, Washington DC), and going to Detroit somewhere in the middle of that, but we're not sure. Point being, do you guys figure it's worth sticking around in Detroit (or any other part of Michigan) as far as cultural/sightseeing stuff goes? We're not too sure what there is in terms of stuff to see or places to visit, so if any native of MI/Detroit could give us a hint, that'd be swell! Also, some people here pointed out that the public transportation barely exists, is this true? Would a rental car be to prefer?

Thanks!
That's a lot of ground to cover, I love going up north or along the west side of the state along Lake Michigan (Ludington, up to TC/Leelanu, the Sleeping Bear Dunes), and then up to the U.P.

However, if you're trying to go to a game, I would probably just stick around the metro area, maybe go to the DIA, the Zoo, the Henry Ford. I love the architecture downtown, and parts of Belle Isle. Most of the 'burbs are just urban sprawl and malls.

My favorite restaurant is Slows, west of the old Tiger Stadium, in Corktown (if you like BBQ) - I never spent much time downtown otherwise, Hockeytown Cafe is worth seeing I suppose, but it's a glorified bar. If time permits, I would try to see a Tigers game too.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote