Old
11-06-2011, 10:00 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 500
Cool story about Thome....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote:
THE RECRUITER
The Phillies are seriously pursuing free agent Michael Cuddyer, who would be a good fit because he is a right-handed bat and can play the corner infield and outfield positions. Thome and Cuddyer are good friends and Thome could help the Phillies' recruitment of Cuddyer.

"We've texted a little bit," Thome said. "We've talked. All I can say about Michael is that he's a great player. He's a winner. He's a stand-up guy. I know he's done a lot of great things on and off the field in Minnesota. Anybody that plays in that organization for a long time, their credibility is instantly high. Any team that gets him is going to gain. He's a great teammate. I would put Michael as one of my top-five, all-time favorite teammates. No question. He's up there. He's a winner."

Did Cuddyer express any interest in coming to Philly?

"I can't answer that," Thome said. "Look, every player that sees the way the Phillies have done things over the last seven or eight years, they've set the bar very, very high. Guys around baseball would love to come here. When you win, you create a lot of good things."

Did Thome encourage his former teammate to join him?

"I could, yes," he said. "Absolutely. I'm sure we will talk going forward."