View Single Post
Old
11-06-2011, 12:01 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
Do we trade for Weber(if even possible), wait for UFA status on Suter, trade for rights to Suter, or go another route? Rather not give up assets needed to acquire Weber.Would like to see Schenn stay if possible with Couturier in Philly. Thoughts?
If I can ask, why are you so opposed to moving the assets needed to get Weber?

Right now, this team is in excellent shape, our only huge need is a good young defenseman.

We have quite possibly the best top line in the league, we have some tremendous chemistry on the 2nd line between JVR and Briere starting to form and we have an excellent 3rd line too, complete w/ 2 rookies in the top 5 in rookie scoring, one of whom (Couturier) is 2nd in the whole NHL in +/- while playing on the 3rd / 4th line and often taking on some challenging defensive assignments.

And this is all w/ Brayden Schenn out w/ a broken foot.

My question is, where does Schenn fit, both now and going forward? Obviously you would need to find / make room for a player of his caliber, but if the right move comes along, isn't it easier / better to use him to acquire our long-term #1 shutdown defender? Right now we have 4 centers to fill 3 top-9 roles on our first 3 lines. Giroux isn't moving. And while we might like to move Briere, he has a NMC and is pretty much untouchable (plus he plays pretty darn well for us). That leaves Couturier and Schenn. And from what I've seen from Couturier so far, there's no chance I'm moving him.

That leaves Schenn. Either we move him or we have to play him @ wing and jumble the lines yet again.

So with that in mind, if you can move Schenn + one of the current defensemen (Carle or Coburn or Mesz) + picks for Weber, don't you have to consider it? Won't it make your team better both now and going forward?

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote