Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v2.0
View Single Post
11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Originally Posted by
Not so much pre-conceived notions, more like "connecting the dots".
- egnimatic eastern European winger with stereotypical reluctance to emphasize defensive responsibilities
- old school coach who is a stickler for defensive commitment from fwds
- high draft pick yet to realize full potential and lagging well behind several players from draft class in level of play, level of recognition & most importantly financial remuneration
- cap spending team with 22M$ locked up in 4 fwds, & with 2 cornerstone players due for massive RFA raises & with 4-5 defensive spots to fill
- public comments indicating level of discord btw player/coach
- team notorious for delaying contract talks until last minute
Factor all those issues, plus what is on pace to be a career year, and you have a pretty strong case for why Kost will quite likely want to test the market & why mtl is unlikely to match the 4-5M$ another team is bound to offer him as UFA
Coaching and/or management change would strike me as the most feasible situation in Which Kost would re-sign...
Short of that (or PG unloading 1-2 overpaid fwds) I don't really see how the team managed to get him signed.
Personally I want him back, & still think he's got ~30goal/~70pt potential, which I'd bet he reaches very soon after leaving Mtl... Sadly.
Same old song when Markov needed to get resigned (twice) or more recently when Pleks needed to be resigned. We had no problem keeping both and both are better players than Andrei and would have commanded more money in open market.
Needless panic and negativity.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by m00ks