View Single Post
Old
11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
The value isnt awful, its just not the right kind of players for Nashville. We need help now, not a bunch of prospects, not to mention quality > quantity.

Most people close to the Nashville situation know that there is, in fact, money to sign all three, if they want to stay. Weber has said all the right things, so, as far as we know, he will stay a predator.

If we are trading, according to Norris voting, the 2nd best defenseman in the world, we have the right to be a little demanding. If we were asking for Ovechkin, that'd be one thing, but I don't think JVR or Giroux is too crazy. Weber is the #2 D in the world, and neither of those guys are the #2 Forward in the world.
You can definitely be a little demanding.

But asking JVR or Giroux for a guy who won't likely be traded unless he tells NSH he doesn't want to re-sign there is a bit much IMO. I was trying to offer a realistic package of players that could actually be dealt. The thing is, in the real NHL, you never see the kind of deals you are talking about... the price for a star is never an established player with huge star potential (JVR) + more. Mike Richards on a team-friendly deal that extends for the next 10 years netted Schenn, Simmonds, and a 3rd. I offered Schenn, Voracek, Carle, + pick for Weber who is currently only guaranteed for 1 more year and if locked up would take a large chunk of money. Same headliner, but significantly better secondary pieces of the puzzle. Based on the going rate of players on the actual trade market, I'd say it's decent value. Maybe you want a higher premium / overpayment from Philly, but I don't see that happening from our end. Maybe that means we're not good trade partners. I dunno.

And as far as Giroux goes, that's just never happening... ever. Look @ his cap hit and you'll see why. He just might be the most valuable player in the NHL given his current contract. If not, he is definitely top-5.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote