Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Panthers Assign Markstrom to San Antonio
View Single Post
Old
11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
My apologies. i wrote GAA and i meant save percentage. Theodore is last in the NHL in save percentage of all goalies where Markstrom is 5th. If you go to qualified goalies Markstrom moves to 4th and Theodore to about 23rd.
Theodore is not last in save % either.
He has a .914 save% which is actually quite good.

To be fair, it's also unfair to look at stats this early in the year.
Some of the guys listed are backup goaltenders (like Markstrom). Those backups have played 4-5 games while Theodore has already played 9 (starter).

Of the guys in the top-10 in save % right now, those guys include Harding, Biron, Enroth, Markstrom, and Dan Ellis.
Further extend the list and you've got guys like Dubynk, Montoya, Greiss, and Nabokov.

This doesn't really tell us a thing. It just says that some backup goaltenders have played well in their smaller sample size of games.

Look at the guys (starters) around Theodore and it's actually rather telling that he's played pretty well.
He's just under Vokoun and ahead of people like Cam Ward, Corey Crawford, Niklas Backstrom, Carey Price, Jonas Hiller, Roberto Luongo, and Ilya Bryzgalov.

Theodore's played well and is not dead last in anything, at the moment.

I do think Markstrom has looked better, but that's not really a knock on Theodore. 9 games in, Theodore has played like a guy who deserves to be a starting goalie on most teams.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote