View Single Post
Old
11-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
It does its job, but compared to some others I've been in... not so great. Don't know where you guys live, but the trains/buses I take generally run on the most annoying schedules. I'll have 5 buses in a minute, then be without one for half an our. Plus, over the last year or so, trains the E and F seem to run local in Queens every second day (especially when coming home from the Garden)

As I said. It's tough to maintain such a large system, but I've seen other cities do it better. Never been to Ottawa, but Montreal's is much better in comparison.
It's much easier for other cities to do maintainance--every subway system in the world EXCEPT New York, closes down for the night. Not to menition that most of the subway system was built before 1920--again, most systems are not that old. Plus, this country is going through difficult economic times and does not value public transportation, so money is very tight and many people who actually work to keep the system running and clean have been laid off.

Like I said before, you think it's bad now, you should have seen it back in the early 1980s. In those days subway cars broke down on average every 6,000 miles they ran (now it's around 90,000 miles--it's amazing how important routine maintainance is) and there were derailments almost every week. It was impossible to get anywhere without delays.