View Single Post
Old
11-12-2005, 11:47 PM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Some observations after the game.

Legwand got 8:48 of PP tonite and 6:03 against the Stars. In addition to more point shots this has been a major difference in the recent improvement in PP fortunes. Legwand is playing on the strong side down low with Kariya on the half boards and has been playing strong in the corners keeping control of the puck and going to the net.

I can't believe Legwand gave up that open net backhand at the end of the game, instead centering it for a trailer...was that trailer Hartnell? Was David looking to get him the hat trick?

I thought Sanford played a darn good game....Tomas just played better. He had at least 3 incredible saves that should have been goals. Complete defensive breakdowns on all three. Vokoun could have easily been the first star tonight. The defense had a relatively weak game against a Blues team without alot of talent up front. If we would have had a Bertuzzi or Holmstrom camped in front of the net tonight, we would have been in trouble.

Alot of big hits near the end of the first....I thought it was going to get real chippy. Suter got pasted at our blueline, but bounced back to deliver a team leading 4 hits on the game. Trotzy is trusting him more and more. He spent 5 of his 17 minutes TOI on special teams tonight with 4 of those on the PP.

I really like Smithson's game. I think he will be up the entire year. He is so versatile with playing center or wing, defensively responsible, can play with an edge and grit, good at faceoffs and has good size, which we sorely need. This guy is a coach's dream. Gamache's days are unfortunatley numbered. I bet he is the one that gets sent down if Upshall continues to play well. If he doesn't clear waivers, I don't think Trotzy will be that upset. He just has no long-term place in this organization as he can only be effective on the 1st or 2nd line, and with his diminutive size and lack of true speed, he just isn't going to cut it here, or most likely many other places up in the NHL, I believe.

I wondered who was going to step up in Walker's absence, and Hartnell has definitely made a case for himself for answering the bell. Hartnell with 4 of his 6 goals this year.....GWGs. Erat also has stepped up his game since Walker has gone down.

I am very happy we came out with the two points on this one. If Tomas hadn't brought his "A" game, this one could have easily gone the other way.

Sucks to be a Blues fan this year....