View Single Post
Old
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Martin wasn't signed coming off his age 26 season. He was signed 3 years later.

Martin also wasn't on a downward trend through 26 like Coburn.

Coburn
36, 28, 19, 16.

Martin
24, 37, 26, 32, 33, 11 (in 22 games).

The point continues to go right over your head. My point is that the defenders that get the big bucks usually play a two-way game. Martin does. Coburn does not. It's a fairly simple concept to understand. Defenders with offensive ability to go along with their defense are more valuable than strictly defensive dmen alone. Martin was paid for the 30+ points Pittsburgh was hoping to get alone with his defense. You're not getting that from Coburn.

Defensive dmen have their place, but they should not be getting big bucks. A #4 defensive defenseman who is unable to anchor a pair isn't worth the $4.5-$4.75M you were originally trying to claim he is worth.
Coburn also gets significantly less power play time in comparison to Martin. I just did a quick search but I think that I saw that Martin averages over 3 minutes a game in pp time as opposed to Coburn who gets almost zero. I'm not saying he would turn into some awesome two way d man if given that time, but I bet he would pick up an extra ten to fifteen points a season and that would put him into Martin's point total range. Regardless, with the inflation of contracts that have been handed out to defensemen in the past couple of seasons, you would have to expect that Coburn is going to get at least 4 million per year.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote