Thread: Zack Smith
View Single Post
Old
11-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
First off I am a old power skating instructor so eyeno this stuff.I spend most of my time at practices watching skating ( old habit).Z Smith technically is a good skater he has a monster stride which makes him look slower simply cause his feet are not moving as fast as a player who has a short choppy stride.One poster said he gets around the rink suprisingly well,I am not surprised.He has good upright posture,knees always bent and pushes straight back,good stride.One can always improve ones stride, posture etc.its a never ending process.The other thing I have noticed is his stride doesnt change when he gets tired or frustrared.A player who has done alot of changes to ther technique will revert back to bad habits when they are stressed he doesnt.Another thing with his stride is he beats alot of d men on the outside not alot can do that.More skilled stick handlers try and finess there way through ,Smith goes around and does real well at it.Is he perfect not at all does he has good technique in my opinion and others I watch with ,ya he does.
That was me.

I highly doubt Smith can take his skating ability to the point where he becomes a legitimate top 6 forward...other than that, he's probably got adequate sense, shot, vision (believe it or not) to make himself a 2nd line powerfoward. There's a quickness and ability to change direction quickly that he doesn't have much of, in comparison to another big strong guy in Greening.

Zack Smith is where he is in large part right now due to work with the Sens power skating instructor. One can always improve their stride but he's never gonna be able to do the things a Filatov or Skinner can do on their skates.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong here, your input is appreciated as most don't have a background in any of this stuff. The Sens have a power skating coach, Marc Power, who I've seen referenced as one of the best in the world...Would you know if its a normal thing for teams to have power skating coaches employed? I always assumed it was.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-09-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote