View Single Post
Old
11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
MayDay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
So you're basically in favor of cancelling every single athletic scholarship? Only a few college athletes will see the light of day in professional sports, period. And also say goodbye to college athletics, if your idea comes to fruition. Basketball and Football foot a large part of the bill for the other incredibly unprofitable college sports programs.
No, just the sports that already serve as de facto minor/developmental leagues for pro sports. Such as Division 1 college football. I know that your average college swimmer or wrestler or runner is not going to become a professional athlete. Those people really are student-athletes in the true sense of the word. I'm not concerned about them.

I'm aware that these football and basketball programs serve as huge money-makers for some of these schools. That's part of the problem. The fact that they pull in so much money has made them a corrupting influence on higher education. In some of these places, it seems like the university exists mainly for its football program, and that's just wrong. It's also wrong that the players, whose labor pulls in all these millions of dollars, aren't paid a dime for it.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote