View Single Post
Old
11-10-2011, 02:24 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
They are due more than ELCs though. And yes, Hornqvist and Kostitsyn need a raise. Then there's the whole Lindback thing, or signing a free agent to replace him (unless we trust Smith or Engren that much.) Not to mention Radulov if he comes back at the trade deadline this year, as rumor states.
Hornqvist is still under contract for next year, and his salary goes up by 83k I think. SK will need a raise, but I don't suspect he will see anything north of $3m over the course of maybe two or three years. Depending on what he does this season and how the cap raises he might get $3.5m. Hornqvist got his contract after a 30 goal season. If the cap raises a fair amount between now and when he signs his contract/extension he will get a raise, but it shouldn't be dramatic unless his performance over the next two seasons is dramatically better than his 30 goal campaign. Weber will likely stay the same, but I could see it reducing over a long period of time. A 7m/7yr contract like Rinne. Suter will probably require a similar deal if we want to keep him.

Assuming the cap goes up by $3.2m to make it an even $67.5m we could run with this (note: positions and lines aren't necessarily correct... I just threw it together for the money):

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m) / Craig Smith ($0.715m) / Colin Wilson ($3.000m)
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.712m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m) / Nick Spaling ($1.050m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Shea Weber ($7.000m)
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Jonathon Blum ($1.350m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.250m) / Jack Hillen ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m) / Anders Lindback ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m) / Brett Lebda ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $67,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,723,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $10,776,667

So after we sign our RFAs and UFAs (notice Suter and Weber both make the same $7m Rinne makes), if the owners really want to be serious about spending to or close to the cap we have over $10m to shop around with. That's after giving Wilson $3m (which I think would be something he would take over a two or three year period, unless he just explodes this year), SK $3.25m (again, fair I think), Blum gets his raise to $1.25m, Geoffrion gets $1.062m, Tootoo and Bouillon stay the same, Hillen gets a slight raise to $850k, Lindback gets a raise to $1m (but we could afford to give him more), and everyone else is the same as this year.

If the owners are really serious about getting close to the cap then that money can buy an extremely good player and STILL have some cushion left over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
That's the American Way. Ever heard of credit cards, home mortgages, or car loans. We are a society based on credit. Folks that pay cash for cars and homes are just plain weird these days.
Someone listens to Dave Ramsey