View Single Post
Old
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't get the seeming "concern" that Paterno's reputation is tarnished. He looked the other way while someone was using their position within his organization to perform heinous acts on children. **** him and his reputation.
People want to think guys like Paterno are pillars of moral values. They want to believe that so much they don't want it to change ever. And I get that allure. This guy was a hero to so many people...perhaps consciously they know and understand it, but I think most people will to anything not to believe their hero isn't who they thought he was. They'll latch on to false hope (maybe he didn't really know, maybe he did try to tell others, etc.) because that belief in their hero is so strong they don't want to lose it. They don't want to lose that ideal.

Think about his former players. How many of them do you think WANT to think of Paterno as anything other than their beloved coach who made them bette players and better people? Very, very few. Emotions get in the way of rational thinking sometimes.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote