View Single Post
Old
11-11-2011, 12:50 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I could go with Messier, Jagr, or Lafleur. I just don't think that any small advantage Trottier has in peak performance over Messier can compensate for the fact that he was basically done as an elite player after the age of 27 and done as a first liner after the age of 31.

And before people go "well, what about the fact that Lafleur was done as an elite player at a younger age than Jagr," I'll just point out that he has a playoff advantage over Jagr that Trottier definitely does not have over Messier.
My personal opinion (that is totally unbiased mind you ) is that Trottier peaked a fair bit higher than Messier. He was more complete than Messier was overall and by a wide margin in their younger years.

Messier definitely creams him in longevity which brings them back close to even in my opinion.

I think playoffs between those two are close. Again, I think Trottier's best is better (maybe outside '94 but certainly sustained best) and that Messier beats him as far has having more great playoff years. I just can't ignore Trottier having 29 points in three straight playoffs and leading the playoffs in points twice along with his all around play.

Couldn't go wrong with either of those guys for any situation at their best though, that is for sure.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote