View Single Post
Old
11-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Lososaurus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukethewhales View Post
Question for offensive D, or offense in general:

How do you avoid tunnel vision and develop better peripheral vision?

I've noticed that when I make my first outlet pass, I focus only on my target. I can't see other options, nor do I consider them once I've made the decision, I can just see the one open forward. This would be fine, except that there are often times when I don't see the opposing forward about to drift into my passing lane. I snap the pass, and it results in a turnover. How do I avoid that?

The same goes when the puck (rarely) comes to me at the point. I often panic and throw a weak wrister at the net, thinking I have no time or other options. But when it comes, I get tunnel vision on the net and just shoot it, even if there's a player open on the half boards.

Any suggestions?
Detail question: Are you skating or standing still? I've found when making any play I make better decisions when skating or at very least gliding. Skating opens up new options for you to pass or make a decision( this is the key part ) just by changing your direction( or peeling back to try again ).

When you're standing still, it feels like the play is going on around you and it basically is. By staying in one spot, your options basically become known and limited. The other team knows where your guys are, where they're moving and where the lanes will be. If you want to join the play or do *something*, you need to begin moving your feet from a standstill and the time that takes can be enough for the opposing team to cut off the lane or a forechecker to pounce.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote