Thread: Great Britain: Hockey in Britain
View Single Post
Old
11-11-2011, 05:07 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post
Apologies if I'm interupting in your discussion, but I just wanted to give you a bit more of a gauge into the comparison between leagues.

The only Swedish players I can remember who have played here over the past few years are Johan Molin (A number of years in the Elitserien in the late 90's/early 00's), who was a very good player for Manchester, less so for Nottingham, Patrik Wallenberg, who I thought was a very good player for Nottingham, and Erik Hjalmarsson, who was a mid season replacement for my team the Coventry Blaze, and was a very good second line player. We've also had Matthias Soderstrom play for the Blaze, but he came over to England when he was very young, and has played practically all his career here. Coventry also have Peter Hirsch who played both Elitserien and Allsvenskan for a bit, and whilst he won the league with Coventry in 09/10, he's by no means the best in the country, especially in his second stint with us this year.

However, a fair few players have used the EIHL as a springboard into the Allsvenskan. The biggest success story is probably Mark Hurtubise, who was the best player on a pretty bad Edinburgh team, and he went to Olofstroms, and scored 75 points in 40 games. He had a season with Almtuna, scoring 37 in 52, before signing this season for Leksand. Tylor Michel is another player who's left for Sweden this year, signing with Bjorkloven in Division 1. He was one of my favourite players to watch, and arguably the best third liner in the league when he played for Cardiff. He's just under a point per game for them this season. The other former EIHL player in the Allsvenskan this year, is IMO, the best goalie to ever play in the Elite League, Trevor Koenig. He won the playoffs with a surprise Newcastle team, before coming to Coventry and winning the league (the league is always the bigger prize compared to the playoffs in the UK), in 07/08 and 08/09. He's now playing for Troja-Ljungby, and from what I've heard from my Swedish friend, is doing very well for them.

I hope that gives you at least some tools for comparison between the two leagues.
No problem, I really appreciate your answer. Do you know anything about the Scottish hockey league?