View Single Post
Old
11-11-2011, 11:23 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Not bad. We're giving up a fair bit considering this is supposed to be a deep draft.

It gives me pause, which probably means it's pretty fair.

TK + ET + 1st

for

NK + 2nd/3rd depending on final standings
It gave me pause too, but, as noted, my thinking is that the Pens are in win every year mode. There are no five year plans. I don't want to throw away top picks on waste deals, but Kulemin has two advantages:

1. For this year, the extra prorated cap hit is 250K. I've got a top six of Sid, Geno, Kunitz, Neal, Sullivan and then Kulemin with a third line of Cooke-Staal-Dupuis. Where's the flaw? Would Shero get better at the deadline, and at what price anyway? Funny thing is Shero still would have close to a million (like 4M prorated at the deadline) for shopping, like for a big defensive upgrade.

2. For the next 2-3 years, it works too, as Kulemin is a RFA and wouldn't be a bank buster. Plus, given how Shero has drafted defensively, I suspect a Martin deal (a la Whitney or Gogo) will happen probably this or next offseason.

Anyway, I see it as a trade designed to help the team over the next 3 years. Longer term, the Pens probably lose in terms of the value. BUT, longer term, Sid and Geno won't be in their mid 20's.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote