View Single Post
Old
10-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
The Broons agreed to put siding on Orr's house. Who's looking for sympathy- I'm jealous; Its a well known fact the Canadiens had territorial rights back then and 'some' of the players or players they acquired from 'those' players either directly or via draft picks were those territorial players. I think its Ken Dryden's book that actually discusses this whole Canadien advantage- and he's your former standout goalie. If I'm wrong then so is Dryden although you can always say he's a Leaf backer now-but the book was written years ago.
The Habs made the most of their opportunities. The Bruins squandered theirs when they had their great players. Part of it was superior coaching (Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman). Part of it was superior goaltending (Vachon in '69, Dryden in '71 and '76-'79 vs. Johnston and Cheevers). My favorite all-time Cup was in 1971, when the Habs were huge underdogs against both Boston and Chicago. Oh yes, I almsot forgot to mention a non-Quebec second rounder the Habs picked in '71 by the name of Larry Robinson. He was picked fair and square. The Bruins could have had him too.

Don't brood. There's always hope. It's not an immutable law of nature for the Bruins to be upset, although they always seem to find a way.