View Single Post
Old
11-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I haven't seen Rattie play yet this season and I'm planning on watching a lot fewer Jr and college games this season due to other priorities but Rattie sure is racking up the points. He's currently 6th in WHL scoring with 32 pts 20 games. I think he'll eventually be passed by his teammate Sven Bartschi who has 27 pts in 12 games. Yes, only 12 games! I'm sure Rattie is benefiting a bit by playing on a good team but at the same time, he's certainly one of the top reasons why they're a good team! I remember reading somewhere that he put on a good 10-15 lbs of muscle this summer so it's good to see his body is maturing and he's putting in the work in the gym. I've never really understood why players fall due to being light. He's only 5'11" so he is a bit undersized but a lot of 17-18 yr olds aren't even close to finishing filling out yet. IMO, if two 17 yr olds were just as effective hockey players and one was 5'11" 190 lbs and the other 5'11" 160 lbs, I'd probably go more towards the lighter kid than the heavier kid. Why? Because even though the heavier kid might be closer to being NHL ready, if the lighter kid is able to be just as good as the kid who has 30 lbs on him, what's he going to be able to do on the ice once he fills out his body? I loved the Rattie pick. He's no guarantee and he's a good notch or two below Tarasenko and Schwartz but at 32nd overall, he was a steal IMO. Not that it matters but I had him rated 20th going into the draft and I would probably move him up a few spots now.

I'm not sure what to make of Sonne. Rattie plays a completely different style of game and is much more offensively skilled than Sonne so I'm not worried about Rattie repeating Sonne's swan dive when he turns pro but I did think Sonne would do better as a pro. While I think Sonne got way overrated by Blues fans after he scored 100 pts as a 19 yr old (not a 20 yr old), I did think he would eventually be a good NHL 3rd line center since he had a good work ethic, had a good amount of grit and played well defensively but all of that somehow seemed to disappear once he turned pro. I don't get it. My only guess is that perhaps after he scored 100 pts in his last season in the WHL, he thought he could make it as a pro simply on offense but he's simply not skilled enough. If he's ever going to make it, it's going to have to be on effort, heart, grit and defensive play. Where that went from Jrs to the AHL, I don't know but unless he somehow finishes this season out strong, I could very well see the Blues not giving him another contract. He's got 5 pts in 14 games for the Rivs so far which is ok, not great but what's important is how he's playing overall, not just his stats and regarding that, I haven't heard a thing. I haven't heard much of anything really on how the Rivs players are playing so hopefully he's playing better than his stats indicate.

I watched Schwartz play last weekend against UNO. UNO won 5-2 but it was much closer than that and it seemed almost the entire game was played on special teams as both teams took a lot of penalties. The game was tied 2-2 with 6 minutes left in the game when Jaden sniffed out a puck 5 or so feet in front of the net on the PP and roofed it top left corner to put CC ahead. CC then scored 2 empty net goals to seal it. Rylan assisted on Jaden's goal and scored one of the empty netters. Both Schwartz brothers were credited with assists on a goal earlier in the game but the scoring was eventually changed as it was determined the puck deflected off another CC player on the way to the net and apparently Jaden even touched it. The two brothers are tied in leading the team in scoring with 9 pts in 6 games. They didn't play last night but they play top rival Denver tonight. CC's had a relatively light schedule so far with the 6 games while most other teams have played 10-12 games so far. I think CC played a couple of games against Canadian university teams and against the US U-18 team and those don't count obviously.

Regarding his play, he was good but not quite as impressive as some previous viewings of him. His vision and hockey sense was still very apparent and he's a bloodhound around the net. I was hoping to see him rush the puck a bit more as I wanted to evaluate his speed but that never really happened. I think UNO was keying on him so his brother and linemate Scott Winkler carried the puck a lot of the time when that line was on the ice while Jaden would fight to get open to get a scoring chance. UNO did a pretty good job of containing that line but Jaden was still able to make the difference with the game winner.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. Sorry for writing a book, folks!
I wonder if Sonne got a sniff of being a star and when he realized that he wasn't, he lost interest in doing the "small" things and doesn't have the motivation to return to "his game".

Oh, and I know how to read, so keep writing your books.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote