Thread: Trade Emelin?
View Single Post
Old
11-13-2011, 10:11 AM
dcyhabs

vCash: 500
I get the impression Martin (like Carbonneau) sticks with his initial judgement of players no matter what the player does afterward. He did not like Latendresse, Sergei, D'agostini, Pouliot... In a similar vein he likes veterans, Darche, Pyatt and others. Production does not seem to matter, though defensive errors do appear to impact his confidence in players.

I suspect the ability to handle pressure is the main criteria for Martin, and that he does not believe players who can't deal with him can succeed in the playoffs. I guess we will find out once we see what Sergei, O'Byrne and friends do when they get there.

I agree that Martin has no confidence in Emelin, and Martin rarely gains confidence in a player after his first impression is negative. O'Byrne is the poster child for this one, he had some brutal plays and never got steady playing time afterward even when he was playing well. He went to Colorado and became a reliable, physical D-man.

I think Gauthier needs to have a "burn another asset for nothing and you're fired" talk with Martin. A second option would be playing Emelin with Markov if Markov is ever healthy, inflating his stats, then trading him.

Martin burns assets, and using Pleks on the point has cost 3-4 wins so far, but he does work out defense. I'm still trying to decide if he succeeds in protecting weak D-men or if he has strong D-men that he does not use well. His faith in MAB seems to be justified at this point.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote