Old
11-13-2011, 04:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yeah, I don't think you have the full story.

When Sandusky retired, the university / athletic department would have been responsible for giving him access to university facilities, not Paterno. Thus the university pulled that access last week, not Paterno.

The AD knew at least as much about the '98 incident as Paterno (and perhaps more--that's one of many unanswered questions), so to suggest that Paterno is responsible for Sandusky still having access seems a bit off--unless you a link to back up that claim?
Come on. You think if Joe Pa told Sandusky to never return to campus, knowing what Joe Pa, the AD, and Prez knew he would have been allowed back? Like Joe Pa would have said to the AD or Prez "This guy is a *******, I don't want him on campus." And they would have been like, "Nope. He's allowed to stay." This was a collective failure by everyone involved, but Paterno certainly could have stepped up, even if he didn't want to go to the police, he could have kept him out and certainly didn't have to promote his football camps and send his players to help out at them. And the way I understand it in PSU, Joe Pa reported to God and that's it (until all this of course).

Quote:
EDIT: That's not to say that I don't think Paterno deserves blame in this--he does. There's just a lot of misinformation out there, and my principle concern is that the BoT and university has too much to gain by making Paterno the main scapegoat.

IMO, Paterno should have been put on admin. leave pending an investigation--in practice, he never would have coached again, but firing him (and not the others involved) seems a cheap, transparent ploy to shift the blame away from the university administration.
The thing is that the university had no choice. They had a choice to protect a coach or protect the school. They could have rolled the dice, so to speak, and backed Paterno hoping that things would come out to clear his name or they could have rolled the dice and covered the University. From a football standpoint, yes it was could be considered a lame move because maybe he didn't do anything wrong blah blah blah. But from a practical standpoint, this was the only decision.