View Single Post
Old
11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
It's not that cut and dry. By your logic, you'd sign Parise over Doughty just because LW is more of a weakness than defense. Like I said, and this is just my opinion: Suter makes more of an impact on a shift by shift basis than does Parise. Suter makes us a better team than Parise does. If you disagree, that's fine, but don't quote me and then dismiss the argument.

And I don't understand the argument that Suter "only" eats up cap space. Is Parise exempt from the salary cap? He's just as much of a risk and his contract prevents us from filling another spot just as much. What happens if a D gets injured and all of a sudden that becomes a glaring need? Does parise's cap hit not count?

If you think Parise is a better target than Suter that's fine, but the arguments you've given don't really hold any water.
You've failed to read my points about us having players that can be just as good or better than Suter. Why do we need to pay $5M for Suter when one of our younger guys can do the same thing at a cheaper price?

We don't have anyone that can really do what Parise can. People can argue that Kreider can, but I have yet to see Kreider do what Parise can.

Parise is one of the best forwards in the NHL. Easily Top 10 or Top 20. Suter is not a Top 10 or 20 defenseman in the NHL. Suter is good, but he prevents us from spending money on the good top line LW we need.

If Erixon and McDonagh can get the job done at a cheaper price and we can add Parise, that's money used the right way.

If we have $5M tied up with Suter, where does the rest of the money go? Can you really get a top line LW when you have $5M tied up in 1 defender?

You can argue that Suter can make one of our defenseman expendable, but McDonagh/Erixon's cap hit does not equal a top line LW's cap hit.

How you think this team needs Suter more than Parise is beyond me. The team lacks offense, not defense. We have Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Erixon and McIlrath. Why do we need another defender? All of the defenseman we have are very good. Why do we need to create a logjam with left handed defenseman?

Parise adds the offense we need, Suter just adds to our defense.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote