Thread: News Article: Chris Kreider
View Single Post
Old
11-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Staal, Girardi and McDonagh to an extent have all shown flashes of being a #1 defenseman. Staal is one, Girardi is playing like a Norris caliber defenseman right now, and McDonagh, 45 games into his NHL career, is playing like a top pairing defenseman, so I'd say there's room for improvement. Michael Sauer and Del Zotto have done very well as a middle pair, and Erixon and McIlrath both have potential to be very very good NHL defenseman, with Erixon knocking on the door.

This team does not need another defenseman. You don't waste draft picks on players and trade them away once they finally start panning out. That's what they would have to do if they pick up a player like Suter. Sure, a 3rd pairing guy who can hold down the fort until Staal is back and/or Erixon/Valentenko/McIlrath are ready, but a top guy just pushes the young guys out of the equation after we have spent years developing them. That money would be much better spent on a forward.
Suter, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, and one of DZ / Erixon / McIlrath is a great top 6. We're not forcing anyone out via trade. It's a GOOD thing to have competition. It's a good thing to be able to deal from a position of strength when needed. It's a good thing to not have to pencil guys into the lineup out of necessity because you have enough depth to let the players win their spots.

It's your OPINION that the money would be better spent on a forward. That's fine. For me it depends on the forward. I don't think Parise is the savior some of you think he is, and there's no guarantee he makes it to FA either. If it were Suter vs Ovechkin, I'd agree. I just happen to think Suter is more valuable to a team trying to build a contender than Parise. Not by leaps and bounds, but that's just how I feel. Especially when I consider that I think Parise on the open market commands about 1-2 million more than Suter would.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote