View Single Post
Old
11-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Yes they do, when healthy. They offer zero if injured tho. That's my worry. Age and decrepitude.
It is always a worry, but you have to look at the individuals. They are both known for taking care of themselves, keeping in shape, getting proper rest, etc.

Until his run of extreme bad luck (broken foot, broken wrist/hand - from blocking shots) and recent eye injury, Pronger has been very durable over his career. And he's not that old, only 37, IIRC. He's got a few years left as as top Dman, then he'll be the best #3 in the league after that.

Kimmo's the same, and he didn't come to the NHL until he was 24 so he doesn't have as much NHL mileage on him as Pronger. He's also been pretty durable.

In any case, unless Kimmo retires early, and he shows no signs of it, we have them both wrapped up through next year, so no Suter or Weber for us.

The rest of this year will be spent deciding whether to keep Carle or Meszaros next year.

A huge part of that will be figuring out Carle's market value, what his agent thinks it is, what the gravevine says, etc. then deciding whether signing him will be too expensive (a la Leino) or whether they want to keep him and deal Meszaros.

Meszaros offers a lot more hitting, but he doesn't skate as well and isn't as good a partner for Pronger. Carle is a great partner for Pronger, but doesn't hit. I guess they'll have to decide which guy's skillset would be more easily replaced (i.e. can Gus fill Carle's shoes or would it be easier to find a hitter to replace Mesz in the 3rd pairing?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote