View Single Post
Old
11-15-2011, 11:18 AM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangediddy View Post
I wouldn't mind some advice on positioning for centermen.

I've only been playing for about 3 years, but picked it up very quickly so I'm a very good skater, mediocre stick handler, good passer and decent shot. I've done ok in the scoring dept (avg ~1.5-2 point/game in Div B/C rec league) but the points mostly come as assists on individual effort goals, or break breakaway/individual goals of my own.

I guess my problem would be knowing where to be in both the offensive and defensive zones. I find myself often trying to cover a man who's already being covered, or finding open ice close to the net where my winger already is when we have possession.

I like going to the net and battling there, but it seems like anytime I go there, a winger is already battling and I'm just in his way.

Any advice for someone who's never been coached in any way?
The centremen is a support man, that means you help your wingers out, if they don't need help you get open for a pass.

Defensive zone
You can help your d-men get possesion in the corners, then pass to your wingers for a break out. If your d-men have the puck read the play, you can go to the neutral zone and cross lanes to get a pass, or just join a breakout if your winger will get the puck.

Offensive Zone
You are either digging in the corners with your wingers (if it's a 2-1 it should be 2 on 2 so get in there and help out) or you are giving your winger another option for the pass. This means your winger is in the goalies face, and you are high-slot or vice versa. You could also head behind the net if your winger likes to cycle the puck.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote