View Single Post
Old
11-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Matty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
IMO Luongo's value is higher right now than it will be in the summer, when more options will be available... while Luongo may still be the best of what's available, it still makes more sense to not give up assets and sign a slightly worse UFA like Turco instead.

If Luongo does get dealt this season though, I'd expect a bidding war for him... and I'd most expect it to start in the NW with Colorado and Vancouver.

I don't think that proposals made above for either team would be enough to get him... From Vancouver, Allen, Bourdon, Schneider, Kesler, the Sedins, even Ohlund are all assets that Florida would covet... Luongo is just not a player IMO that you can get and still protect the organizations best assets.

Out of that, a pkg that I could see happening is Cloutier, Bourdon, Bertuzzi and a 1st (with a low value forward like Huselius coming the other way with him)... and I'm sure that Colorado would be able to put together a pkg that could compete with that.

Luongo's a player you build your franchise around... and if you're moving him, you're looking at a return to be players you build around. You're not going to get him with UFAs to be (Jovo), or other such devalued assets alone.
Point One, Agree that Luongo's value is probably higher now that it will be in the offseason.

Point Two, Goaltenders never generate the type of return that high end forwards do. IE fans always seem to overestimate their trade value. That said, that doesn't mean that Luongo wouldn't generate a solid return but if you think that upgrading Cloutier with Luongo = Bertuzzi, Bourdon, and a 1st... Even with a 'low value forward' in return.

Point Three, I wonder how Florida would go with this? I could see Keenan having interest in a guy like Bertuzzi. On the other hand, I could easily see Florida looking more at young, cheap players.

If Florida doesn't want to add significant salary...

Cloutier & Kesler & Bourdon for Luongo would be my offer. Or switch Bourdon with Schneider & 1st if Florida would want a goaltending prospect. Not saying it's the best they could do, but it's likely the best the Canucks could do. And even then, it really leaves us with no cap space which makes me think that it would not be worth it.

However, if Florida didn't mind taking on salary...

Bertuzzi would be the main trading chip IMO. Something like Cloutier, Bertuzzi, & 2nd. But somehow I doubt Florida would be all that keen on taking on Bertuzzi's salary...