Old
11-16-2011, 09:01 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Harnell's goal totals since 2005-06:
25,22,24,30,14, 24 and 6 so far this season .... an average of over 23 goals per season between 2005-2011. Rather productive by any standard.
Productive is nice. And he's just that, productive. Not especially productive or unproductive, just productive. Like a Jeep. He's not the best top 10 pick. Nor is he the worst. And that 23 gpy is solid in isolation (his 23g/47a pace over that period would place him right around the 75th percentile of forwards who played more than half a season), but that's significantly muted by the fact that at age 22, he was on pace for 25 goals. At 23, he scored 25. And short of an anomolous first year with the Flyers, that year represents his peak.

Which brings me back to my point - he showed strong initial production. But his offensive game failed to take the next step. We can argue back and forth as to whether he was ever capable of taking the next step. But, as I've said before, it's not a stretch to say that his development isn't something Trotz should be lauded for. Taking a top 6 pick and turning him into someone that barely cracks the top 100 most productive forwards in a given year isn't noteworthy.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote