Old
11-16-2011, 11:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
[QUOTE=phlocky;39539399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
It seems people are far to comfortable in believing that either Suter or Weber will absolutely be in orange and black next season. We're in for a rude awakening when NSH re-signs them both.

edit: Our issue is not with personnel. We have top a 3 defensive corp in the NHL on paper. Something isn't right about our defensive system. That needs to be fixed. Imagine how a coach like Lemaire or Tippett would do with our defensive corp?[/QUOTE]

The problem isn't with the defensemen, it's with the forwards playing well in the defensive zone that's a problem. We traded our 3 best defensive forwards from last year and we've let our forwards open up the offensive game (have you all noticed that we've benn at or near the top in GPG all season long???) and it takes away from their defensive play. Our forwards are getting caught up ice, out of position and making bad turnovers looking for homerun passes that are costing us goals against.

With the team we have I think that we HAVE to let our forwards open it up and for us to try and win a scoring race by hoping or defense and shiny new #1 goalie can make some big plays on their own without the need for a stifling team defense that also stifles the team offense.
I've missed the last couple of games, but I don't agree with this at all. The defensive play from the forwards may have slipped some, but not a lot in my eyes. Subtracting Richards and Carter and adding Simmonds, Voracek (who's hustle has been a surprise to me), Couturier, Read, and Talbot almost offsets as far as I'm concerned. You can't blame our dismal GA total on our forwards.

Remember we've let in about 15-20 fluke deflection goals already this year, either from opposing players or our own players. The personnel is there, the system I'm not so sure of.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote