Old
11-17-2011, 10:05 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Here's my thoughts on the WHL:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...mber-2011.html

Quote:
- It seems like consensus among most people is that there is a solid top 6 in the WHL this year with Ryan Murray sitting at the top. I would still agree with that. However, at this point I think Dumba could be the guy that has the best chances of knocking him out of that spot.

- Not shocked to see Rielly ranked ahead of Dumba. I've seen Rielly dominate a game from the blueline. He's an amazing skater that has really taken big stride this year in his defensive game as well. However I expect to see Rielly slide a few spots because of his recent knee injury that will sideline him all season.

- Pouliot over Reinhart is interesting, even though Reinhart has been off to a bit of a slow start this season and he hasn't been too strong in my two viewings of him this year. But, in all the games I've seen Pouliot play, he's never done anything to jump out at me and make me think he should be in consideration for a top 15 pick. Maybe that's just what makes him so appealing to some, the fact that he can go unnoticed while still playing well.

- Not a huge fan of Chandler Stephenson at 7th. I've seen him around a dozen times live over the last year and a bit and he's a solid player, but I have concerns about carrying his offense to the next level. Seems to be more of perimeter player and he's still only listed at 5'9. I would have him ranked somewhere closer to the late 3rd, early 4th round.

- Unfortunately I have yet to see Coda Gordon play, but I have heard nothing but good things.

- I like Mike Winther. He's versatile and plays well in all 3 zones. I just don't have him rated as highly as Central Scouting does. I just don't think he fits into a top 6 at the NHL level so I would have him ranked in a similar spot to Stephenson.

- Severson and Thrower being ranked that low are surprising to me. They should both be inside the top 8-9 for the WHL. Both strong kids who are good offensively and defensively and play with an edge.

- Volek is getting some love, great to see. He's my biggest sleeper from the WHL so far. I would have him slated to go somewhere in round two.

- Really happy to see Travis Brown ranked again by someone other than myself. The kid is very solid and dependable, has a strong frame to grow into and is a good skater. Plays tough, too. With hard work this year, he could continue to climb into many teams top 90-100 ranked players.

- Bozon is a guy people will start to hear more about as the season goes on. Very quick, shifty and dangerous player. Plays with an edge and isn't afraid to fill that agitator role too. He also speaks 4 languages.

- Bertaggia cracking the top 25 is good to see, even though I don't agree with it. Once again, size is major issue here. He's a very good offensive player and is one of the fastest guys in the league, but I don't see him having enough jam to overcome his size problems.

- One of the biggest shockers among the skaters for me is the lack of Jaynen Rissling from Calgary. Admittedly, he was somewhat disappointing in my lone viewing of him this year, but he is a very good two way defenceman with size. His mobility seems to have suffered the slightest bit as he added more height and weight over the summer, but he's got a strong frame and could be a horse at the next level.

- In goal I would definitely agree with the top 3. Makarov has been stellar for Saskatoon, the team's MVP. Driedger is fantastic and has good size, even though he wasn't very good in my only live viewing of him this season. Bartosak is an import that is more of a blocker then goalie at this point, but I like his potential. Boes would be the one guy that could sneak into that top 3, in my opinion.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote