View Single Post
Old
11-17-2011, 03:59 PM
gabbagabbawill

vCash: 500
A year ago, I had to get the cheapest skates I could afford at the time, which were the Vapor X:05. These skates are the cheapest hockey skate that Bauer makes, as far as I know. They are a surprisingly good skate for the price range. The biggest problem I have is that the steel runners are relatively soft, and I have to get them sharpened AT LEAST every other skate. When sharpening costs $10 a pop, it adds up. I would have been better off economically to get a skate with a better steel runner that would hold up to longer periods without needing sharpening.

Also, something to consider when it comes to the steel runners is that you can't replace them on any of the Vapor skates until you get to the Vapor 5.0. I had a friend break his runner (I know, weird, right?) on a pair of X:40's and to replace it, he had to get all new holders and runners for both skates so that they would match correctly... needless to say it was a better idea to just buy new skates at that point, which he did.

So, that being said, I would go with the X 5.0, as I don't think you can go wrong with them. They have the same runners/holders as the 6.0... If you want to spend more, go with the 6.0, but IMO most recreational players are not going to see benefit from anything above the 5.0.

gabbagabbawill is offline   Reply With Quote