Thread: Pre-Game Talk: 2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk
View Single Post
Old
11-18-2011, 02:30 AM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Awesome set of tools and skill effortless scorer with an NHL calibre shot. Also brings and entertaining type of fiestyness to a game. His problem is his attitude and determination to do the little things like show up to camp in his best condition possible. Would have liked to have seen how he responded to the environment of a much better team this year and presumably how he brought more effort to being the best he can be.

Since he is going to be out til Xmas at least and playing catch up for the rest of the season conditioning wise, it's a shame for his draft year.
I think this is still the most concerning part and we still haven't even got to mentioning his skating. With Frk's history of losing his temper on the ice, the spear or yelling at refs, he just does not fit Gillis's MO - character is a key component. If you remember, we are the team that makes draft eligibles take several personality tests in person and our tests were said to be one of the most rigorous. Frk just doesn't fit that IMO, despite his offensive talent.

A poor work ethic is generally a red flag to me. I read he worked pretty hard in the preseason games, so maybe he can change that and bring some more consistency when he gets back.

Next, its his skating. If people think we have problems with Hodgson's acceleration, I don't know what kinds of things would be said about Frk's acceleration or mobility for that matter. Hodgson never really had problems with his acceleration or top end speed or mobility in juniors, but for Frk, it stands out even in juniors.

Maybe he can come back and fix all those areas, but at this point, he is a talented player yet there are still a few key areas he needs to improve on to be a top 10 pick and challenge Grigorenko. But to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Reilly is from Vancouver too. As much as I like Galchenyuk, if Reilly fell to us I would say we have to draft this kid. He profiles similar to a Duncan Keith based on his skills and two way play.
I agree. A must draft if he falls into the 16-24 range, although i can see him holding steady in the 10-12 spots. And an apt player comparison.