Thread: Proposal: Couturier to Defensemen
View Single Post
Old
11-18-2011, 01:44 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I really question what Laviolette and company are doing with Couturier. We all know that when Laviolette's "boy", Schenn, comes back into the lineup Couturier's ice time is going to get cut even further. Everyone talks about wanting to limit his ice time over the course of the regular season, but with it being so early in the year, now is the time to give Couturier ice time and then when the second half rolls around, roll back a bit on the ice time to avoid hitting the wall. The guy has proven so far he can play in the big league, so why not give him more than just table scraps for ice time? As well, some decent line mates might go a long way as well.
I believe you hit the nail on the head and answered your own question. They are trying to not burn him out. If you keep his ice time limited he can develop his 2 way game further in the NHL and get used to an 82 game schedule. I do not want him to hit a wall and see defensive breakdowns from him later in the year as you suggest. Thats when games really count. Maybe we play him more in the playoffs or in the end of the year but now I like the approach and I do hope his ice time is limited so that he doesn't burn out and he gets that valuable experience early on.