View Single Post
Old
11-19-2011, 07:05 AM
dcyhabs

vCash: 500
Kostitsyn is a good player and not a waste of a pick. I'll settle for getting a good player, not necessarily the number one available, as long as there are few blown picks and a few surprises in the later rounds.

The current approach is to take projects, and there are a lot of players from the last few years taking time to hit the NHL, but there are not many complete flameouts. Not many stars, granted, but a large number of players who are either still prospects or who have played in the NHL. Considering the lack of high draft picks I'll take the large numbers and hope for a breakthrough. It is tough to draft stars outside the top ten.

Fischer had mental issues (no brains). Timmins decided to take a chance that he could learn, and he didn't. Terrible pick, but it is not as though there was no chance of success.

I'm more worried that the organization does not value draft picks and trades them for players who stay a year or less. The organization is rated 24th by HF and I suspect they would be higher had they hung on to a few of the picks they traded away. On the other hand they might be higher because they finished way worse in the standings. Gauthier may have a point, too, there are a lot of players available in the cap era.

The habs are accumulating some depth on D, so they may be in a position to trade for picks instead of trading picks in the next few years.

Have to see how Trotter does, the 'Dogs are way worse without him. Of course the habs won't miss him unless he takes some major steps.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote