View Single Post
11-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Big Phil
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I said it in quite simple terms already. He displayed comparable offensive dominance (when the doubling of the talent pool thanks to the europeans is considered) and was better by a country mile defensively.

Even without making any kind of a european adjustment, Alfredsson's best 10 offensive seasons have a combined percentage score of 767. Perreault is at 796, about 4% better by that metric.

Another metric would be hr's adjusted points. Alfie is 6 adjusted points behind on 121 fewer games.

What percentage better defensively was Alfredsson? It's not easy to make a case that it's less than the percentage Perreault was better offensively - if he even was.

Oh, and you could repeat this post with "Modano" in place of "Alfredsson" and it would be equally compelling.
Or you could look at how they fared against their peers.
Perreault top 10 scoring - 3, 4, 5, 8, 9
Alfredsson top 10 scoring - 4, 7, 9

Not sure why you would take in the European invasion here. It isn't as if Perreault was winning scoring titles with Orr, Espo, Lafleur, Dionne and even Clarke in there, and at the end, Gretzky. He didn't play against scrubs either.

Would you have taken a prime Alfredsson over Perreault? I can't see why. Alfredsson was a fine player and I wouldn't mind him in the HHOF, but put Perreault's prime 1974-'80 against Alfredsson at his best.

Give Alfredsson the defensive edge, but definitely give Perreault the offensive edge. Better skater, more dangerous offensively, a player teams built around to beat more, etc. I've also always thought that Perreault's numbers, while good, never did him any justice on how great his offense truly was.

Give Perreault the edge in the postseason as well.

Lastly, think about Perreault in, say, the 1976 Canada Cup. Just watching him play the game and the way he stood out was there any time you saw Alfredsson stand out among other great players like that?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote