View Single Post
Old
11-19-2011, 11:07 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Or you could look at how they fared against their peers.
Perreault top 10 scoring - 3, 4, 5, 8, 9
Alfredsson top 10 scoring - 4, 7, 9

Not sure why you would take in the European invasion here. It isn't as if Perreault was winning scoring titles with Orr, Espo, Lafleur, Dionne and even Clarke in there, and at the end, Gretzky. He didn't play against scrubs either.

Would you have taken a prime Alfredsson over Perreault? I can't see why. Alfredsson was a fine player and I wouldn't mind him in the HHOF, but put Perreault's prime 1974-'80 against Alfredsson at his best.

Give Alfredsson the defensive edge, but definitely give Perreault the offensive edge. Better skater, more dangerous offensively, a player teams built around to beat more, etc. I've also always thought that Perreault's numbers, while good, never did him any justice on how great his offense truly was.

Give Perreault the edge in the postseason as well.

Lastly, think about Perreault in, say, the 1976 Canada Cup. Just watching him play the game and the way he stood out was there any time you saw Alfredsson stand out among other great players like that?
Um, you do realize that the two simple metrics I presented are ways to show how they performed against their peers, right?

Why take the euros into account? Simple. When Alfie finished 4th in scoring you could say he was the 4th highest scoring player in the world. When Perreault did it, there was a good sized handful of europeans who had a shot at outscoring him, had they been NHLers. Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Petrov, Maltsev, Martinec, and later on KLM for sure. Maybe a couple WHA scoring champs had that potential as well. So just looking at the "raw" scoring finishes only tells a small piece of the story, and cutting off 11th place seasons as though they are meaningless is counterproductive as well.

There are other factors to consider as well, I realize that. I am not here to unveil the results of a super detailed study. But you are sitting here telling us it is an absurd notion and it's not. It is easily arguable that Alfredsson makes up any small offensive edge with his defense.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote