Thread: Gionta
View Single Post
Old
11-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Observations by the original poster are relevent this year since Gionta seems to have lost a step, most probably (hopefully?) just temporary, but at the same time, I fully understand why he gets a pass from most, including from me. He's a warrior, nobody's ever going to question his commitment to his team and his teamates. Is he lacking talent? Probably not the purest top-6 and it's a bit more magnified considering the age, which will eventually catch up to him, if only slightly at the bigining.

But he still brings so much by being a balancing presence on and off the ice for the younger and/or less consistant players on this team that there is no reason to hit the panic button in his case. What I could see happening is him progressively finding his way further down the depth chart for the next couple years of contract while having a reduced role on the PP. But he's going to do it without whining and with the same level of hustle because he's a true team guy, a glue type of personality.

And I'm going to add that I don't mind him becoming a 30-40pts guy for us on the 3rd line, he'd still be quite usefull, nothing that compares to the albatros Gomez' contract has become.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote