View Single Post
Old
11-19-2011, 04:50 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well, obviously we don't know what happened. So in the end it does come down to analysis of our own. I personnally think with what we've heard that Gainey never took a decision without consulting PG. And it seems it's the same now. Again, it's not because you consult your friend that you ALWAYS go with what he says. Being a GM is exactly it. You go with your own orientation and then wait for the observations of your "friends". But knowing how close they were, knowing that it went from Gainey with PG as the assistant, to PG with Gainey as a consultant, they have to be close by and somewhat share the same views. I would have the tendancy to think that if as a consultant or an assistant, one would be totally against a trade or a move that the GM would have been quite hesitant to do it. Especially on a big trade like the Gomez one. Where I draw the line between the 2 is that it's entirely possible Gainey in himself would never been interested in a guy like Dominic Moore for example. So as a GM, I do believe Gauthier, with his pro-scouting resume, went for the guy. And then might have talked to it about Gainey who thought it was a good idea.

Pure speculations, I know, but the day people in here have all the insides, we'll shut up and listen. But based on history of the 2 guys, I do put them in the same philosophy category.
They have similar personalities in the way they conduct business. Quiet, professional, but to me PG has already shown a slightly more aggressive, proactive approach with the ability to identify weaknesses and address them without sacrificing the future.

There are similarities, but they are different. In the end, BG was in charge of the decisions made while he was GM, end of. Any amount of speculation won't change that. I rarely here other teams fans lump the decision making on the assistant. Some people hire people they trust to tell them the truth and say how the feel whether or not their opinions may vary widely. They respect each other and are friends, that doesn't mean they wouldn't voice their displeasure or be critical of each others decisions.

I don't see them as being one of the same. I like what PG is doing and already see things that I didn't with Bob Gainey. The truth is PG hasn't had enough to show us what he is capable of and has done a job well enough to warrant a continuation of his plan. Will see where it takes us. If he proves he isn't up to the job, he can be replaced, but were nowhere near that point yet.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote