View Single Post
Old
11-19-2005, 11:50 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
In the most recent edition of The Hockey News there is an article form the editors suggesting that the Hall of Fame should induct more past Russian players. I agree only Tretiak and Kharlamov are in. I'd like to see Yakushev and at least Makarov in there too. So I have no argument there.

But in a paragraph it mentions that the Hall wont induct Russian player but rather sub-par stars like "Bob Pulford, Clark Gilles, Bernie Federko, Bill Barber and Guy Lapointe."

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Who's name is grossly out of place on that list? To me its Lapointe. Pulford and Gilles shouldnt be in there I agree. Federko, Hmm, I dont really know about that one. Barber I personally have no problem with being a Hall of Famer. He scored 40 goals or more 5 times, his high of 50. 420 goals in his career over 12 seasons and three post season all-star berths, not to mention two Cups.

Now to Lapointe. I have never heard anyone suggest anywhere that he isnt Hall of Fame worthy. How about this. 6 Cups, three post season all-star berths, twice over 70 points, mentioned as one of the big three on the Habs of the 70s, to me he's a legit HOFer and I've never heard any different. Anyone disagree? Its the first I ever heard of it.
I think part of the problem is the size of the selection committee. While the 18 members include some of the game's greatest minds, I don't think it's big enough. Baseball's HHOF has a 450-person committee. The HHOF actually has a tougher percentage requirement (14 of 18, or 77%, compared to 75% for baseball), but the size of baseball's selection committee (and the rather stringent standards of many voters) make it much tougher to get in. Those standards, in addition to the rich respect for the history of the game that exists in baseball (boxing and golf are the only ones that come close for respect for the history of the game), make Cooperstown so prestigious.

I think we're going to see more overseas stars inducted in the coming years.I don't think it's a coincidence that Kharlamov's long-clamoured-for induction was announced the same week that the Hall opened an expanded international exhibit area. It wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like Mikhailov or Yakushev inducted in 2006. Larionov will certainly go in 2008, and I think they're saving Makarov to go in with Larionov.

Gillies' induction is easily the most surprising and controversial over the last 10-15 years. He won four Cups, an impressive figure, and was key to a couple of them. (Although wasn't a top-five player on any of those Islander teams). He had a couple all-star seasons. But there wasn't a large public outcry to get him in the Hall (contrast that with, say, Ciccarelli, Neely or Anderson). Nobody complained when Gillies wasn't inducted.

Federko, IMO, doesn't belong in the Hall, but he had a lengthy, successful career, was a consistent point producer and had several strong playoffs.