View Single Post
Old
11-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Having had a chance to review some of the factors involved, I find it difficult to see that Perreault had more impact as a player. Prior to this thread my gut would have had Perreault 50-100 spots ahead on an all-time list but I can't justify that right now.
Trust your gut, I say. Besides, how did Alfredsson have more of an impact as a player than Perreault? There is no way Alfredsson stood out more against his peers than Perreault. Throw stats out the window, this is the classic eye test and the NHL culture at the time. Perreault would have religiously been a top 10 player in the game in his prime. Alfredsson, not so much

Quote:
If anyone else would like to demonstrate the opposite using something other than "I think Perreault looked better" I would definitely consider it.
I've thrown things together like Hart trophy finishes, scoring race finishes and even the competition at the top end. I threw in the eye test, the explosiveness of the player and the impact they made on the ice, Perreault wins every time. What more do you need?

Quote:
There is a real sanctity attached to some of these players who played in that 1970-1995 period and a lot of times other players' careers surpass them quietly; we never pinpoint right when it happens, but it does. Martin St. Louis is clearly superior to Joe Mullen now. Sakic passed Yzerman. Lidstrom passed Robinson and then Potvin (and a lot of guys say Bourque too). Modano ended up with a career as good as or better than Hawerchuk and Savard. And so on. I've noticed it is hard for people who romanticize that era to accept in a lot of cases
See I never romanticize about certain eras, I always try to look at it objectively. I agree with those choices above for the most part. Sakic and Yzerman are close however and you can almost do a coin flip for it. I don't think I would put Modano ahead of Hawerchuk or Savard though. They were both too much of an individual talent on their own, even compared to Modano. Not saying he's not close to them, because he is and it isn't the worst thing in the world to compare him to those players, but if I were to look at it objecitvely I take the former two. Do I take Sakic over Savard or Hawerchuk? Yes, you bet. But not Modano, not quite. There are some sentimental old fools that will always favour "their" generation but I am not one of them, and most of us on here aren't.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote