11-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

vCash: 500
Flyers' Read making case for Calder Trophy

Decent article

Quote:
"Hockey runs my life and takes me everywhere I want to go."

- From Matt Read's bio on Twitter (@read1mat)
Matt Read is going places, all right. And though it's several months away, one of those places may be Las Vegas, where they honor the NHL award winners after the season.

The Flyers have never had a player win the Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie.

Not Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber, or Ron Hextall. Not Mikael Renberg, Mike Richards, or Jeff Carter.

Not anybody.

Read, whom the Flyers signed as an undrafted free agent, may end the drought.

In the season's first six weeks, the 25-year-old rookie winger has showcased blazing speed, a laser of a shot, and a knack for pouncing on loose pucks around the net. He has five goals in his last four games, the best streak for a Flyers rookie since Renberg had five goals in a three-game span in 1994.

"He's getting comfortable and understanding the way we're trying to do things," coach Peter Laviolette said.

Entering Sunday, Read led NHL rookies with eight goals, and he was tied for second in the plus-minus ratings at plus-6. Sean Couturier, the Flyers' other rookie-of-the-year hopeful, has five goals and is tops among first-year players at plus-9.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1eMJeoon0