Thread: Proposal: Moves the Isles should make
View Single Post
Old
11-21-2011, 11:08 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
In fact it's all pretty easy: If Wang had spent money on the team in the first place he'd probably been making money now, not losing it. Good teams puts bums in seats and with bigger attendances comes more corporate sponsorship providing more revenue and less expenditure for the owner.

The problem though, is if the fans stay away the circle will spin the other way and the Isles will be history in a few years. What I don't get is how fans sit quiety and watch this go down. If this had been Europe the players, GM and Owner would've had to add new tires to their list of weekly things to shop.

It's time to protest loudly and visibly. It's time to chant "Snow must go!" or whatever catchphrase is fitting. It's time to tell Wang and Snow that the fans are not gonna put up with it anymore and staying away, being sulky and silent is not gonna do that!
Wang did spend money. He spent a ton of money on this team. Maybe the payroll was never very high, but until the lease was redone a couple of years ago, he was losing millions annually (not the 20M+ he claims, but I believe it was 5-10M a year according to Forbes. I don't have a link).

I think Wang has done a lot wrong for this team, but people don't seem to remember the state of the team that he bought. The Isles payroll jumped from $18M, lowest in the league, the year before Wang took over to $40M, 14th highest, the year before the lockout. This was before there was a minimum cap. That $40M was nearly double what some teams were spending.

He spent money, just not very well. And guess how much attendance increased during that period? Not at all. It actually dropped.

Wang has faults, most notably his refusal to fire MM, hiring Snow, the DP contract, etc., but Isles fans have to have a very short memory to fault him for not spending.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote