View Single Post
11-21-2005, 11:07 PM
God Bless Canada
vCash: 500
Bossy's portfolio speaks for itself. A rookie scoring records that stood for 15 years. An unprecedented stretch of consistency at the 50-goal level. A Conn Smythe Trophy. And, most importantly, IMO, a key role in four Stanley Cup championships,including an MVP and three other MVP-calibre performances. (Bring out all the stats you want, that's the most important fact of all).

I think he could have finished among the top two or three goal scorers of all-time. A healthy Bossy, playing into late 30s, probably would have reached Howe's goals record before Gretzky. (He was 229 away when he retired at 30. Even at a reduced pace, say, 35 goals a season, he eclipses the mark in 1992). While he was a very good playmaker, I don't think he was good enough to reach No. 2 or 3 on the all-time points list.

To me, he's the best goal scorer since Rocket Richard. When he loaded up his shot in the slot, one of three things happened: he scored, he missed the net, or he hit the goalie. That was the goalie's only real hope: have the puck hit him, because the goalie didn't have much of a chance against Bossy in the slot.

One thing to keep in mind with the PPG numbers at the start of this thread: a lot of the players mentioned played well into their 30s and even 40s. Bossy never had the years of diminishing offensive production that they did.

One of the top 20 players of all-time, one of the big 4 RWs of all-time (very close with Lafleur, behind Howe and Richard) and one of the scariest offensive forces ever.