View Single Post
Old
11-22-2011, 01:49 PM
wahsnairb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I like Savard, but he's not a blow you away type prospect and the Kings are trying to find a place to play Voynov right now, nevermind Muzzin and Hickey who are borderline NHL ready and they have Campbell and Deslauriers, who I think will both be good depth d-men at least. Then they have Forbort, etc. coming into the system in the next few years. Why would we even want Savard? We'd rather a forward.

I wouldn't trade Doughty for Nash and a flipping of 1sts won't do anything to change that, especially if it's a guarantee the highest that pick can be is 6th. Odds are that Columbus, even with this trade, will finish bottom five because the biggest problem is no one in your net can stop a damn puck and Bernier hasn't proven he can do that as a starter yet either (even though I know it is entirely possible). So that means the pick will in all likeihood be a 2013 or later pick. I don't see why we would want to wait for a pick.

Also, there really isn't a goalie on COlumbus I'd swap out Sanford for. There's no one Columbus has I'm really excited about. York maybe, but that's a long maybe.

Sort of. There was some conditions on a deal between San Jose and Tampa Bay when they flipped 1st round picks in 1998 that stated no matter which pick was higher, the Lightning would get the first overall pick. It's number 3 on this list:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/twocen...ay-sports.html

Not the same thing as what the original poster implied, but one protection. There has also been times when teams have agreed to trade a 1st to another team, but are allowed to pick which year they the pick to be from. For example, in this proposal, the Jackets could say they traded a first to LA, and that first must be from either the 2012, 2013 or 2014 drafts, at Columbus' discression. Obviously, if the Jackets first is 4th overall, they will pass on sending them a 2012 1st in hopes the 2013 or 2014 pick is a lower pick.

This happened in a trade with Phoenix and Clagary for Olli Jokinen a few years ago. Calgary actually deferred sending Phoenix their first in 2009 so they could draft Tim Erixon 23rd overall, and ended up sending their 2010 draft pick instead. The 2010 pick was 10 slots higher, 13th overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olli_Jokinen

"On March 4, 2009, Jokinen was traded to the Calgary Flames in exchange for forwards Matthew Lombardi, Brandon Prust, and a conditional first-round draft pick in 2009 or 2010 (Calgary's choice)."

I hate using Wikipedia, but I can't find a link to an actual article. I'm sure a Flames fan can vouch for this conditional draft pick aspect of the trade.
No no what I proposed is that you guys get the pick no matter where it is and you get an extraaaaa pick if it doesnt end up being a top 5 pick for LA.. sorry it is hard to understand, everyone.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote