View Single Post
11-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered User
newfr4u's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
An MD can only prescribe medicine or tell you to have surgery. OP needs to see a chiropractor. These kinds of issues are easily treatable by a competent chiropractor and in my case all I have to do is pay my $30 copay for my health insurance. If your insurance covers your visit, you have a history with back pain and you play hockey I would do preventive treatment rather than waiting til there is pain again.
this is not true. although there are general practioners who are literally idiots when it comes to sports injuries and therapies, an MD can make you get an MRI, diagnose whether it's related to your muscles, bones, ligaments, or nerves, or refer you to a specialist (doctor or chiropractor).

on the other hand, a chiropractor can't diagnose or treat a bulging or herniated disc. they can do very limited things for things like a pinched nerve. they treat a majority of complaints by performing a spinal adjustment or massage, which is something the OP may or may not need.

ultimately, unless you can very clearly describe the problem and the injury to someone who is experienced in treating such ailments, most advice will be very much useless because there are 100 different causes for the vague symptom that we know as "lower back pain". i suffered from various back pains for a long time and it was only until i started reading a lot on the subject, i was able to identify what is going on in my back and find the right doctor for that treatment.

fwiw, the book i linked gives you 2 exercises for tailbone pain. it is aimed at relieving acute pain when it occurs and rehabbing your back muscles for the possibility it occurs again. for anything else it tells you to go to a doctor.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote