View Single Post
Old
11-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I was a little surprised to learn that he was still on the PP. He was never on the PP in LA, at least never a mainstay, he would occasionally see a little bit here and there mostly due to either injuries or team fatigue, but outside of being a temporary fill-in, he was always a bottom 6 high octane energy winger whom the opposition typically always underestimated which would give him the ability to step out of his role and take things to the next level from time to time and burn defensemen. I don't even really remember him getting any habitual penalty killing time. I think he was primarily always an even strength player for us, never special teams.

Even so, has he really been that bad at the role? With the offensive players the Flyers have, you would think that Simmonds would at least be serviceable in such a role. He doesn't have much finesse or playmaking ability, but he can should the puck well enough and is gritty and can get play in the tough spots and go to the net. If I were planning a powerplay with Simmonds, I would just stick him in front of the net and let everyone else work around him, he knows his role and will fight for space and bang in the occasional rebound.
It's not that he's been that bad, it's that he's been the same player he was for you as he has been for us. Extremely streaky. Looks brilliant when on, hard to notice when he's not.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote