View Single Post
Old
11-23-2011, 04:19 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Mark Scheifele made a jump to #28 on Hockey Prospectus' top 30 prospect rankings: http://www.puckprospectus.com/articl...articleid=1184

They use a few different metrics to grade the prospects, so if anything it's always a good, enlightening read.

Here's what Corey Pronman had to say about Scheifele:
"I admit I'm jumping on the bandwagon late, although I still have my skepticism about Scheifele's ultimate projection. The hockey sense is a legit plus tool and the puck skills are better than I gave him credit for, but the skating worries me and it's what likely keeps his projection at a good second line player. "

Edit: Also found Pronman wrote about Klingberg in his November roundup: http://www.puckprospectus.com/articl...articleid=1155

"Klingberg has gotten off to a really fast start in the American League racking up six goals and seven points through the first 10 games, although he is shooting 23% early on. Klingberg's bread and butter has always been his skating and physical game and one scout said that's more or less what he displayed in a viewing. The scout described Klingberg as a quick, agile skater who closed in quickly on the forecheck and was a real physical threat who also displayed an edge to his game in scrums after the whistle. Klingberg's absolute offensive upside has always been questionable at best and this scout echoed that, referring to him as a third- or fourth-line type, though noting his shot was quite impressive. I've seen Klingberg show an above-average to even plus shot, but shooting ability doesn't really make an offensive threat in today's NHL. "
Thanks for sharing those 2 finds.

Scheifele has time to improve his skating if he concentrates on it and I have no doubt he will within the next 2 years. It baffles me that some evaluators/scouts don't recognize that a player can markedly better his skating , happens every year from 12 year olds to NHL'ers .

Jonathan Toews did it through Edge of Excellence here in Winnipeg for a couple of summers and he went from having his skating be just ok for an elite level young player to above average. No reason Scheifele won't do something similar , albeit at an a slightly older age.