View Single Post
Old
11-24-2011, 09:38 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think if you point out first round errors in judgement, you have to point out smith, erat, rinne, and hornquist were all 4th round picks or later.
All GMs have their fare share of lightening in a bottle picks who develop into better players than their draft position indicates. It's sort of a crapshoot that late.

If you're arguing Poile has more than the average GM, I guess I can't really argue because I don't follow the late round picks of other teams that much. But for example, Detroit has several players drafted late who are superstars.

It's not so much that Poile has picked badly early, it's that he hasn't even tried. The Pikard type picks end up as throw away picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
It's a whooooole lot easier to create a cup contender when you've got money to play with, and we really haven't.....ever. It'll be interesting to see what he does if the new ownership is sincere in their saying that they want to be a 'close to the cap' team.
You don't need a budget to draft. If we're ever going to compete for a Stanley Cup, it has to be with young, skilled players who you can get early in the draft. Poile never goes after them, instead opting with grinders and lunch pail types, smurf defensemen, and goalies who never end up helping us.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote