View Single Post
Old
11-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
This is turning into Souray every point Josh gets ,like a bad re run .

After Gainey signed Markov , Gainey said this on the pending UFA Souray.

GM Bob Gainey has said, however that his "priority will be Sheldon Souray,” adding “I expect to have talks with Sheldon’s agent in the coming days.”

Here is what Souray said and notice that BUSINESS WORD.

''We have lots of time. There's three months before anything has to be done. Montreal has been really good and I hope our relationship continues. I love Montreal. It's a challenge, but I enjoy playing here. But it's a business and we'll see what happens.''

Souray set an NHL record for defencemen with 19 power-play goals, helping the Canadiens post the league's best success rate with the man advantage.
yup...

what people sometimes fail to realize is that athletes are regular people as well... just very highly compensated ones.

While maxizing their earning potential is a major driving force in decision making, their perception of self-worth and how an organization either validates or undermines this, plays a major role as well.

A team that delays signing a guy to an extension, or shows little faith or trust by signing 1-year RFA deals vs. committing long-term, sends a clear message of how much they value the individual and his contributions.

when you feel like your employer values you, and shows faith in you, the likelihood of being willing to "make it work" and agreeing to a contract that is mutually beneficial (as opposed to demanding "fair market" value) increases dramatically.

some organizations get this, and thus manage to get UFA destined players to sign favorable deals relatively regularly.

others, like us, drop the ball in this department, and the end result is what we see in our roster today... a group of veterans that almost to a man are paid at the very high end of what they are worth (and that's an understatement, most of our vets are definitely overpaid compared to their contributions).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote